Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Christmas Comes in July

Photobucket

Every time I get mixes from Daniel K., in Minnesota, it’s like Christmas. (Plus, Dong didn’t crash his motorcycle today.) And Santa has finally shit for Discount Romance. The songs from our first day at Mysterious Mammal Studios have come back. These are very rough mixes and don’t have final vocals or full instrumentation, but they do show the songs coming together.

Another rehearsal of the new song tonight. Things are getting exciting, boys and girls!

Photobucket

This is our very own Santa Clause, Daniel K. from the fine state of Minnesota. Daniel has been mixing for my bands for several years now and his contribution both for mixing and playing on tracks, can’t be overstated. Discount Romance, Don’t Tell Betsy and Death of the Author Brigade all owe him a huge debt of gratitude.

Photobucket

So, without further ado, here are the first three songs in all their rough-mixed charm.

Photobucket

Pop Song – This song even has Carissa counting out the phrases at the end of the song, so the band doesn’t lose its place. That’s how rough these mixes are.



Photobucket

Goodbye – The vocals are a little anemic on this track in spots. Carissa was having vocal problems when we recorded this and had to sing in the control room because Dong was in the isolation booth with the acoustic guitar. When we get the final vocal on this sucker, it’s going to be a thousand times better. It also needs a little more instrumental punch. (That’s Dan adding some vocals to the chorus!)



Photobucket

Carrie’s Got a Lover – Probably turned out the best of the first 3 tunes. Daniel did some very nice effects on the voice. It also took the least amount of time to record. Some songs just have a charmed life.



Photobucket


More Stupidly Captioned Pics!!

Photobucket

“Please Lord. Give Dong a break and let him live. At least until we get through the next three songs.”

Photobucket

If anyone knows the whereabouts of this man, we’re a little worried. He hasn’t been seen at his instrument in weeks.

Photobucket

“Nobody knows I’m drunk on my ass.  I'm fooling everyone.  Nobody know I’m drunk on my ass.”

Photobucket

“Hey, I’m polishing my manifesto. Is firing squad one word or two?”

Photobucket

“So, what’s it like to be so old. I mean, like, do you even remember who I am? Can you even hear me?”

Photobucket

Dan practices Nighttime Song while Kent jumps up and down maniacally on a neighborhood orphan.

Photobucket


“I’ve in the hospital three times since I joined this band. Why the fuck am I smiling? ”

Photobucket

“I use the cleavage, heavy binder method to communicate with the rest of the band. I say something and when they look down at my cleavage , I hit them in the head with this binder.”

Photobucket

“Man, that binder really hurt! I have a headache, now.”

Photobucket

“It’s simple Dong, you hit the right chord and I take my boot off your neck. Now, you can’t get much fairer that?

Photobucket


Dan tries to peek and see if he’s on Kent’s “Enemies to be Dealt With List.”

No comments:

Post a Comment